Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Truth Be Not Told.!?

There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Benjamin Disraeli

If only the list were so small..What about: fabrication, bold-faced lie, lying by omission, lie-to-children, white lie, noble lie, emergency lie, perjury, bluffing, misleading, exaggeration , contextual lies, promotion lies...Whew, that's quite a list! And I have no qualms in admitting that I am guilty of resorting to each one of them at some point or the other.

The whole Satyam fiasco made me think about lying in general. I read somewhere that Ramalinga Raju had at least done the decent thing by telling the truth about his involvement. The report further said that there has been no precedence of anyone confessing of such a crime in India. Funny isn't it, how we have a tendency to be emotional even about the criminals in our country. Take the case of Salman Khan mowing down people on the street, or Sanjay Dutt and the TADA case, or Charles Sobhraj's love life!! In Raju's case, he must have sensed the noose tightening around his neck and come out with the confession.

Guilty conscience, anger, drunken haze, force; there are so many catalysts which drive a person to tell the truth. And once you tell the truth, it feels like a weight has been removed from your shoulders. Even the consequences that one has to face after telling the truth are washed away by feelings of resignation or relief. It's always others whose life gets affected by the truth they have been exposed to. It takes a great amount of emotional strength to live with it. I think I prefer telling the truth rather than facing it.

P.S. Have been meaning to blog more often, but somehow can't seem to find the time. And then I was waiting for inspiration to strike, some deep, meaningful and insightful idea for my first post of 2009. Then I thought, Awww forget it, lets leave philosophy for the wise. There are too many philosophers around anyways, the world doesn't need one more!!!

3 comments:

KParthasarathi said...

The conclusion "I prefer telling the truth rather than facing it" sums up the piece.The article is a manifestation of anger and anguish at the recent happenings.Well written in racy style.

Rambler said...

@KParthasarathi
I don't get angry about news anymore .There's always something or the other going on. Anyways, I have almost stopped reading the main paper..Prefer reading the nonsense in supplements..Ignorance is bliss, you see :-)

KParthasarathi said...

The nonsense in supplements is more interesting than the main paper.I agree with you fully.Ignorance of half truths, lies and exaggerations is indeed a bliss.But I cannot resist my temptation to see what they are lying about!!!

We Are Related

Related Posts with Thumbnails